Together with our supplier of Kilombero Rice, we are asking schools, churches and other organisations to sell 90kg of fair trade rice – the amount of rice sold that would enable a Malawian farmer to pay for a year’s basic secondary education for one child.
You will receive the 90kg separated into 1kg bags, along with information sheets, a powerpoint presentation about the farmers, videos about the farmers, leaflets and posters, and recipe ideas. Once you receive your order of 90 bags of rice it’s up to you how you sell it, from curry nights to Fairtrade grocery stalls.
Results of the challenge:
- Pupils have an achievable goal: selling 90kg of rice, which can be undertaken at a whole school level, by one class or by different groups within a class
- The challenge quantifies the benefits of fair trade: this is what a farmer has to grow to pay for one of his children to go to school; this is what we have to do to support him in that task.
- It shows how we can help to empower farmers: creating reliable markets for smallholder farmers where they can get fair prices means they can develop their farms , work their way out of poverty and help to build up the prosperity of their country.
- It shows pupils how they can make a difference and so empowers them
- It creates a link between the pupils and the farmers who they are supporting.
The 90kg Rice Challenge product ethics are indicated below. To learn more about these product ethics and to see related products, follow the links below.
There are currently no reviews to display for 90kg Rice Challenge
There are currently no questions to display about 90kg Rice Challenge.
Just Trading Scotland (JTS) brings together a range of fairly traded food products primarily from Africa and Asia, acting as a distributer in the UK. JTS sees trade as a vital key to rectifying injustice by creating networks for people to develop their skills, resources and their communities, allowing many to work their way out of poverty while developing economically, educationally and politically – the best way to do this is introducing smaller farmers to the global market through distributers like JTS.
You’ll find a great range of products to add to your food cupboard, from fruity jams and preserves to exotic herbs and spices to liven up any meal.
Please see our Despatch & Delivery page for more information on delivery areas, services and charges.